Saturday, December 26, 2009

Fiesta Soup


As I begin to share my adventures with food and my family, we are celebrating Christmas tomorrow and I know we will have LOTS of leftover turkey. This soup was my mother's solution for making a meal after the holidays even though we were tired of turkey. It is so easy and can also be made with chicken breasts and store bought broth. Mama and Papa spiked it liberally with some habanero hot sauce but the little one LOVED it.

FIESTA SOUP

leftover turkey meat
   OR 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
homemade turkey stock made by simmering carcass in water overnight in crockpot
   OR 32 oz chicken broth, organic and low sodium
12 oz favorite salsa, I use Trader Joe's organic tomatillo and roasted yellow chili
15 oz corn
15 oz kidney beans
15 oz black beans

Simmer meat in broth (until cooked if using raw chicken) until tender. Add remaining ingredients, cook on medium and by the time you heat the tortillas it will be ready. I love frying handmade corn tortillas (TJ's again) in organic olive oil until they are chewy. Garnish with cilantro, avocado and queso fresca.

No comments:

Post a Comment