Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oatmeal Carob Walnut Cookies


I try to copy all of the recipes I post on The Coffee Cottage on my food blog You Are What You Eat. 
I label them by ingredient or type of food (ex. cookies, picnic/potluck) so searching for recipes is easier. I would also love to post guest recipes if you have a family friendly recipe you would like to share. 



Adapted from Feeding the Whole Family, one of my favorite family friendly cookbooks. Gracie doesn't care for chocolate too much, or metabolize it that well, so we used carob chips, which she said were still too chocolaty. Only walnuts next time. Or pine nuts? YUM!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

mix dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (plus a little bit if the dough is too wet)
1/4 tsp sea salt

mix wet ingredients then add to dry above:
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 melted butter (this must be why they are so good!)
1 tsp vanilla

then add the yummies:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nut
1/3 cup carob or chocolate chips (optional)

Bake 15-20 minutes until edges start to turn golden brown

This made 20 cookies and I put them in the freezer to keep from eating them all in one day. I at least have to let them thaw for 10 minutes, okay one minute if my teeth are lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment